Thursday 17 October 2019

Cursed for me

Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”), that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. – Galatians 3.13-14

We were all under the curse of the Law. The curse of the Law was that if you break even one point you are guilty of all of the Law. There was no way around the curse – because everyone does that.

So Jesus became a curse in our place when He was on the cross. That’s really an incomprehensible thought. How could God Himself become a curse on our stead?

Jesus did that by becoming a man and taking on the form of a servant. Every time I read this passage I am blown away that Chris became a man. He clothed Hiself as a servant. He became sin in my place. He took on my curse. And He did it all because He loved me. The Bible says ‘cursed in anyone who hangs on a tree.’ Jesus was that man – the one who hung on the cross.

He became cursed for me. Why, if I could earn my own salvation?

No comments: