Saturday 12 October 2019

Die to self

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.” – Galatians 2.20-21

‘I am crucified with Christ.’ What a powerful statement that is. Paul knew what he was saying because he uses the same picture when we writes to the Romans. Those who have been saved have indeed been crucifed to their old lives through Christ. The old man is dead and a new man lives in us.

This reminds us that the old man has no more power over us. Now, the new man has a choice – follow the flesh or follow the Spirit.

I am crucified with Christ.  A dead man does not insist on getting things his way because he has died to what he wants. ‘Die to self is the simple command of scripture. I don’t have to get what I want. I don’t have to win every fight. I don’t have to come out on top because I have died. I can yield to others because that is what Christ did for me. Dead men don’t make demands and don’t get their way.

I am crucifed with Christ – now I must daily die to myself and live for Him.

No comments: