Friday 4 October 2019

Please God or please men

For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ. – Galatians 1.10

Pleasing men of pleasing God, that is the question here.

It is the question that rings through the ages. Are our lives geared to please men or are they geared to please God. Pleasing men is such a driving force because they are all around us.We see them all the time and we want to please others. We want them to like us because that is our nature. We like the approval of others.

This desire to please men can be a real danger. When we desire to please God we can be too easily sacrifice turned from what God wants us to do. When we choose to please men it proves that we are not really the bondservants of Christ. We can’t have two masters. We can’t please both God and man. We need to examine our hearts and decide in advance whether our desire is to make others happy with us or to please God.

As I go about my day today, not knowing what it might bring, may I already know that whatever comes my way I will choose to please God over men.

No comments: