Wednesday 25 September 2019

Strength in weakness

And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. – 2 Corinthians 12.7-10

Paul’s thorn in the flesh has always been a topic for discussion. We have no idea what it was – but we do know why it was.

Paul was given this thorn in the flesh that he might know the power of Christ working in him. His thorn was to keep him humble. He thorn was to teach him reliance on God.

One of the blessings of all the trials that we have been through, and are going through, and wil go through, is that we learn through them that we just can’t do it the next time a trial comes. What that does is that it should help us when the next trial comes.

God’s strength is made perfect in our weakness. It shows Him strong and teaches us that His strength is our strength so let’s be sure that we rejoice when we see God strong.

No comments: