Friday 27 September 2019

For your edification

Again, do you think that we excuse ourselves to you? We speak before God in Christ. But we do all things, beloved, for your edification. For I fear lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I wish, and that I shall be found by you such as you do not wish; lest there be contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, backbitings, whisperings, conceits, tumults; lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and I shall mourn for many who have sinned before and have not repented of the uncleanness, fornication, and lewdness which they have practiced. 2 Corinthians 12.19-21

Ministerial jealousy has always been a problem.  When Paul came on the scene he came on like gangbusters and he shook up the religious scene. In that way he emulated his Master. They both broke the norms – and for both that caused problems. Others cast false aspersions on Him, so he needed to make something clear.

He was willing to go though all of this for the chance to edify his fellow believers. I look at all he went through in order to edify and I wonder how much I do to edify others. How often am I driven by a desire to build up my brother and sister in Christ?

I think it may be said that if we could summarise our job as to glorify God and edify each other. It is interesting that that really fits in with the whole concept that we are to love God and love others.

When I am with my fellow beleivers I must always strive to be a builder-upper and never ever a tearer-downer. Sometimes it requires loving correction, but my heart must always be to help and support.

No comments: