Friday 6 September 2019

I believe in you

Therefore we were comforted in your comfort: yea, and exceedingly the more joyed we for the joy of Titus, because his spirit was refreshed by you all. For if I have boasted any thing to him of you, I am not ashamed; but as we spake all things to you in truth, even so our boasting, which I made before Titus, is found a truth. And his inward affection is more abundant toward you, whilst he remembereth the obedience of you all, how with fear and trembling ye received him. I rejoice therefore that I have confidence in you in all things. – 2 Corinthians 7.13-16

There are so many little things in this passage that are a blessing. Tucked away here are words of great comfort that Paul shares with the Corinthians just before he moves on to some practical instruction for the church. The lessons they have learned will lead on to something more.

Part of Paul’s encouragement are the blessed words that can mean so much to anyone. He wrote ‘I have confidence in you in all things.’ Today we might very well say the same thing with ‘I believe in you.’

Sometimes all people need to succeed or do what is needed or to get through a struggle or overcome and obstacle is just someone to believe in them. Perhaps it is a child or a student or a struggling friend in someone at church who needs just that word of encouragement.

You can do it. I’ll be praying. I believe in you.

No comments: