Thursday 26 September 2019

Spend and be spent

And I will very gladly spend and be spent for your souls; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I am loved. – 2 Corinthians 12.15

I truly understand why people might have a problem with this if it were not in the Bible. It sounds like a recipe for weariness and exhaustion and depression and burnout. It sounds like the kind of thing that could drive a pastor to wreck his body and soul.

I do understand and I agree 100% that we need to take precautions against that kind of thing happening. We need to take our breaks and go apart for a time and exercise and eat healthy and all those things. Our bodies, after all, are the temples of the Holy Spirit.

We also need to be aware of the need for balance. It is possible to use the need for rest as an excuse for giving less than our all. We do need to be willing to give it all for God and for others. We can’t do that with recklessness over our health – but we also can’t do it with laziness and lethargy.

It’s a matter of willingness and attitude. Al I willing to give my all for Jesus even when the task gets tough.

No comments: