Sunday 8 September 2019

Poverty and giving

Moreover, brethren, we do you to wit of the grace of God bestowed on the churches of Macedonia; How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality. For to their power, I bear record, yea, and beyond their power they were willing of themselves; Praying us with much intreaty that we would receive the gift, and take upon us the fellowship of the ministering to the saints. – 2 Corinthians 8.1-4

No church was a poor as the Macedonians. They had nothing – and yet, when they heard there was a need we find out that they opened their hearts to give to meet the needs. In fact, they begged Paul and the team to take their money.

How do people give out of poverty? How do you give when you have nothing, or it seems like you have nothing?

As we saw yesterday they thrived because of joy. That joy of the Lord gave them a whole new spirit about them. That joy gave them the ability to rise up out of their poverty and give with joyous hearts. They gave beyond their own power to give and they even begged Paul to take more.

I can’t even imagine that kind of giving. Getting people to give can be like pulling eye teeth. But these folks were giving more than they could give and we more than overjoyed to do it.

I have to ask myself if that is my attitude toward giving. Do I give that way when I see a need? Do I drop money in the offering with joy and excitement? How is my attitude of giving?

No comments: