Friday 13 July 2018

Jesus' family


And it was told Him by some, who said, "Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, desiring to see You." But He answered and said to them, "My mother and My brothers are these who hear the word of God and do it." – Luke 8.20-21

I can feel for Jesus’ mom and His brothers and sisters. I don’t know where Joseph is by now, but many Bible experts think he may have died. To be honest though, they have no evidence – it is just a guess. No one really knows.

Anyway, His family was worried about Him. He was making quite a name for Himself, but it has to be getting kind of scary. He was getting a lot of opposition from the religious leaders. They did the logical thing; they went to talk to Jesus.

But when they got there they told the disciples that they wanted to see Him. And what did Jesus say? ‘These people, the ones who hear the word of God and do it, they are my true family.’

I don’t think He was putting down His earthly family in any way. I think He was simply saying that He has a spiritual family who are His brothers and sisters, the children of our heavenly Father, and joint heirs of His kingdom.

And we, you and me, those who have put their faith in Christ, have heard God’s word and done it, are also Jesus family. What an amazing thought that is. How does that even happen?

It happens because God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, to gather into His family others sons and daughters. I’m so glad I’m a part of the family of God.

No comments: