Thursday 12 July 2018

And certain women


and certain women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities—Mary called Magdalene, out of whom had come seven demons, and Joanna the wife of Chuza, Herod's steward, and Susanna, and many others who provided for Him from their substance.  – Luke 8.2-3

I did a lot of my growing up in the American state of Alabama. I was reared on good manners and respect. Two groups I was always taught to respect were older people, whom we always called ‘sir’ and ‘ma’am.’

I also learned at an early age to respect women.  People think the notion of respecting is deprecating of demeaning. I never thought that. I was just taught that women deserved an extra measure of decency and respect because of who they were.

Some folks try to claim that the Bible is somehow ‘anti-woman.’ And yet all through the gospel accounts, the book of Acts, and the epistles we find women everywhere doing nearly everything. They are not doing the same work as men, but there are always there and just as vital in Jesus’ work.

Men and women are not the same – it is just that simple. I know there are exceptions, but in a general sense men and women have different skills and abilities. Instead of all of us trying to be the same why not build on our strengths for the work of God?

No comments: