Saturday 10 December 2016

With the multitude

As the deer pants for the water brooks, So pants my soul for You, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God? My tears have been my food day and night, While they continually say to me, "Where is your God?" When I remember these things, I pour out my soul within me. For I used to go with the multitude; I went with them to the house of God, With the voice of joy and praise, With a multitude that kept a pilgrim feast.  – Psalm 42.1-4

The Bible seems to address the importance of the multitude over and over again. The passage reminds me of going to church – though it addresses God’s people coming together for a worship feast.

The psalmist begins by talking about a deep desire for the word of God and about the great days of meeting with the multitude to proclaim the goodness of God with joy and praise.

Twice in this psalm he talks about going ‘with the multitude.’

The idea of worship and praise with the multitude is a constant theme. I have a friend who often talks about the importance of relationship and fellowship. For a lot of people who have been ‘burnt’ in the past by relationships it is hard to be with other people and there is a temptation to just go off and be alone.

We also find Christian just de-emphasising the importance of going to church today saying that they can ‘be the church’ on their own.

‘The multitudes’ don’t need to be massive numbers to be a blessing and an encouragement. Where two or three are gathered together in Jesus’ name and two or three plus Jesus are the greatest multitude.

God loves our personal worship. He loves our time along with Him in our prayer closets.

But He also loves His people coming together to worship and praise him as a multitude.


Let’s not miss those chances. Join your family in church Sunday and join the multitude with a voice of joy and praise. 

No comments: