Tuesday 6 December 2016

Ready to fall

For in You, O Lord, I hope;
You will hear, O Lord my God.
For I said, “Hear me, lest they rejoice over me,
Lest, when my foot slips, they exalt themselves against me.”
For I am ready to fall,
And my sorrow is continually before me.
For I will declare my iniquity;
I will be in anguish over my sin. – Psalm 38.15-18

Do you know what it feels like to be right on the edge of the precipice? Do you know what it feels like to be at the end of your rope? How does it feel when there is nothing left?

Those feelings are nothing new. The word of God is so frank and so honest that it openly addresses these feelings in the heart of even God’s people.

Here we see the man of God at the end of his rope. He has already slipped up and is about ready to give up. He’s had it. He had tried and failed too many times to do right and just keeps losing the battle.

Why bother this time?

But instead of giving up he has decided to turn to God and repent of his sin. His only hope is in God. So, he picks himself up, confesses and forsakes his sin, and moves on again.

And that is our only hope when we feel like we can’t go on any more. All we can do he get up, dust ourselves off, confess our sin and get back on the road. The Lord is there to pick up and forgive us and set us back on our ways. We may be ready to give up on Him, but He will not give up on us. 

No comments: