Thursday 22 December 2016

Those who uphold my life

Behold, God is my helper; The Lord is with those who uphold my life. – Psalm 54.4

There is no way that we could do this alone – no way. Every one of us needs help in this dark world which opposed everything we try to do. We don’t only need help because the world is so dark, but we also face a very real devil who hates everything we try to do. And then there is the ever present enemy of self. How can I do it by myself when my flesh is in constant conflict with my spirit as it vies for my attention?

I am grateful for good friends and godly friends who are there when I need help spiritually. I am thankful for a new friend I spent some time with last week who listened to me open up and share some thoughts and feelings and just understand what I was talking about. God gave us family and friends and spiritual leaders to be human helpers during times of difficulty and I am so glad he does.

We see those folks in the second part of the verse – ‘The Lord is with those who uphold my life.’

These are the Aarons and the Hurs. These are those who William Carey called ropeholders. These are those who through their presence and prayers and words and exhortation and encouragement and even their challenges uphold our lives.

God is my Helper. I thank Him that He does directly help me over and over and over again.


But I am also glad that He is with my upholders and may He be with me as I try to uphold others. 

No comments: