Sunday 22 May 2016

The perfect path

As for God, His way is perfect; The word of the LORD is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him. – 2 Samuel 22.31

The question of which way we are going to go is something we come across dozens of times I day. It starts with something as simply as whether we hit the snooze or not or what to wear or what to have for breakfast. Most of the time those choices are pretty much meaningless. But there are times when we need to make decisions that are going to have consequences.

We search the scriptures and we pray and ask God for direction about what to do. When the scripture is clear it is easy – we obey the word of God.

But what happens when we try to do things God’s way and it doesn't seem to be working out. What happens we are pretty sure things would go better if we did things our way?

The Bible has a pretty clear answer for that. Here are the options:

There is a way that seems right to man, but the end of it is death.
As for God is way is perfect.

Even when I don’t see it or get it or understand it God’s way is right. My pride may not like it – but there it is.

Fortunately we have a few passages of guidance. I guess one of the most popular passages is Proverbs 3.5-6:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.

When I trust him, and am not so concerned about trying to figure it out, and acknowledge Him and His way in all I do I can be assured that He will direct my path. And since His path is perfect I can rest that it is perfect for me.

No comments: