Saturday 28 May 2016

Thanks and praise

Therefore I will give thanks to You, O LORD, among the Gentiles, And sing praises to Your name. – 2 Samuel 22.50

‘Therefore I will give thanks’ David writes.

In the light of all God had done David knew the importance of giving thanks. Thanksgiving is a part of worship in both the Old and New Testaments and it ought to be. ‘Giving thanks always’ and ‘in everything give thanks’ and ‘don't be full of car sin everything by prayer and thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God’ are only a few of the many references to thanksgiving.

Notice though something interesting about David's thanksgiving and about his singing of praises.

He says that he is giving thanks and singing praises ‘among the Gentiles.’

You know, it's really easy to give thanks and sing praises at home or at church or when we fellowship with other believers. We are all there to support each other and encourage and pitch in.

But how do we do when it comes to giving thanks and singing God’s praises when we are with others? Are we ashamed to say ‘thank God’ when we are not in our comfort zone? Are we willing to praise God for good news (or bad news) when we are we those who are ‘going to think we are crazy’ when we talk that way?

This is one of those thoughts that really convicts me. I ask myself ‘are my thanks and praise only for those who agree? Or am I willing to give thanks and praise wherever and I am or who I am with or whatever the circumstances?’

I think I need some work on this one.

No comments: