Tuesday 17 May 2016

I will call upon the Lord

Then David spoke to the Lord the words of this song, on the day when the Lord had delivered him from the hand of all his enemies, and from the hand of Saul. And he said:
“The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer;
The God of my strength, in whom I will trust;
My shield and the horn of my salvation,
My stronghold and my refuge;
My Saviour, You save me from violence.
I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised;
So shall I be saved from my enemies. – 2 Samuel 22.1-4

We certainly get a hint of David the songwriter here don’t we? God is my strength, my shield, my rock, my fortress, me deliverer, my stronghold, my refuge, and in Him I can our trust. I will call on Him and He will deliver me. He is worthy of my praise for He will save me from my enemies.

David was finally in Jerusalem. The question of his kingship had been settled. He was the king and could finally begin his reign as ruler of all Israel. He had faced Saul, his own flesh, the armies of his son, and other enemies and he has seen God work. He had called on God and God had heard and saved him from all that he had faced and God was worthy to be praised for what He had done. He knew now that it was more than just words – God could and would deliver.

Those of us who are saved any amount of time should rest in the the same things. How many times have we seen God deliver us in our trials and our testings? What do we still doubt God during the next test? Why do we fail to give Him the glory and the praise He is due?

I will call upon the Lord who is worthy to be praised. So shall I be saved from my enemies.

What a testimony and what a challenge for us. I can worry and fret and fear and cower in the face of my various enemies despite what God has done in the past.

Or I can call upon the Lord.

Why, oh why, do I have such a hard time choosing the latter?

No comments: