Monday 16 May 2016

Kindness

But Barzillai said to the king, “How long have I to live, that I should go up with the king to Jerusalem? I am today eighty years old. Can I discern between the good and bad? Can your servant taste what I eat or what I drink? Can I hear any longer the voice of singing men and singing women? Why then should your servant be a further burden to my lord the king? Your servant will go a little way across the Jordan with the king. And why should the king repay me with such a reward? Please let your servant turn back again, that I may die in my own city, near the grave of my father and mother. But here is your servant Chimham; let him cross over with my lord the king, and do for him what seems good to you.” And the king answered, “Chimham shall cross over with me, and I will do for him what seems good to you. Now whatever you request of me, I will do for you.”- 2 Samuel 19.34-38

Here we have just a brief little incident involving David’s kindness and an old man named Barzillai. Barzillai was a long time supporter of David. He was a wealthy man who had help make provision for David’s army. He has supplied David during Absalom’s uprising. ‘ Barzillai the Gileadite from Rogelim, brought beds, basins, and earthen vessels, wheat, barley, meal, parched grain, beans and lentils, honey and curds and sheep and cheese from the herd, for David and the people with him to eat; for they said, "The people are hungry and weary and thirsty in the wilderness.’

So David remembered Barzillai when it was time to retune to Jerusalem. ‘Come and go back to the palace with me.’

Barzillai would not go. He has happy to go home, but he sent his son Chimham with David and David promised to care for him so that Barzillai could retire in peace knowing his family was taken care of.

But the story doesn't even end there. On David’s death bed he told Solomon. “But show kindness to the sons of Barzillai the Gileadite, and let them be among those who eat at your table, for so they came to me when I fled from Absalom your brother.

David had plenty of issues, but I think it is things like this that show us that he was a man after God’s own heart. He loved his son despite is son’s hatred and rebellion. He showed kindness to Barzillai and his family.

Kindness is a godly virtue that reflects his nature. We can be a whole of things, but let's be sure that among those things is kindness.

No comments: