Thursday 19 May 2016

He delivered me

"He sent from above, He took me, He drew me out of many waters. He delivered me from my strong enemy, From those who hated me; For they were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my calamity, But the LORD was my support. He also brought me out into a broad place; He delivered me because He delighted in me. – 2 Samuel 22.17-20

When we left David he was in the depths of despair and distress. He felt surrounded and like he was in over his head. He felt trapped by his enemies. He couldn’t see a way out. So he did all he could do, he called on the Lord and the Lord heard his prayer.

God sent help from above
God took David
God drew David out of the deep waters of turmoil
God delivered David from his enemies
God was his support
God set him free and put in in a broad place
God delivered him.

When I read this I am reminded of a favourite rousing hymn that tells the same story. I don’t think it is around much anymore, but it has a powerful message.

I was sinking deep in sin,
Far from the peaceful shore,
Very deeply stained within,
Sinking to rise no more;
But the Master of the sea
Heard my despairing cry,
From the waters lifted me,
Now safe am I.

Love lifted me!
Love lifted me!
When nothing else could help,
Love lifted me.

Like the psalmist and the songwriter we can find ourselves in those depth of despair we talked about yesterday. But we also have the same loving Master of the Sea who will hear our cry and lift us up from the depthS. We too can find the deliverance Jonah found when he  said: “I cried out to the Lord because of my affliction, And He answered me. ‘Out of the belly of Sheol I cried,And You heard my voice.” We like Peter sinking under the waves cry out ‘Lord, save me!’

The deliverance is there if we will only call on our Deliverer.

No comments: