Sunday 24 August 2014

Why the Law?

But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully, knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine, - 1 Timothy 1.8-10 

The Christian is confronted with the reality of the Old Testament law. It takes up a big part of our Bible. If we are honest we ask ourselves why we have it. What is it all about? Some Christians feel bound by the Law as though it still had some kind of power over us. 

The law had a purpose. It’s was our teacher to show us our need of a Saviour. It was to show us that we could not keep it. 

I thank God for the law. It is a good thing, as long as we use it properly. The law is not our guide. It is not our rule or our standard. When I read the law I am amazed at the wonderful grace of our God because I see what a miserable failure I am. It makes me rejoice when I realise what I deserve and what I have in Christ. 

The law does set a standard. It sets an impossible standard. And if that weren't enough the scripture says that if we could keep the whole law and only broke one point of it we would still be guilty of breaking the entire body of law.  Only One, Jesus, could keep that standard. 

The law is good. It showed me I was a sinner. It shows the world around us that they cannot possibly match up with God's standard. 

The law is good because it shows us the greatness of God and the weakness of man. It shows us our need of the gospel. 

Thank God the law and praise Him for the gospel 

No comments: