Sunday 17 August 2014

Love and patience

Now may the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the patience of Christ. – 2 Thessalonians 3.4

The love of God and the faith of Christ is such a blessing. We read quite often about the importance of us being loving and us being patient, but here we see the wonderful truth of the love of God and the patience of Christ.

A lot of folks, I think all of us at times, live with troubled hearts. There is a lot out there to cause us concern. The future is so uncertain. None of us really can do ‘what a day may bring forth’ and that can be a scary thought.

In addition our hearts can be anywhere. Our hearts can be on our own lustful desires. Our hearts can be consumed with pride and pleasure and possessions. All of these things are going to leave us empty. If our hearts are focused there we are always going to be empty hearted.

But Paul has a great place for our hearts to dwell. Instead of setting our hearts on all the troubling things around us we ought to direct them to the love of God. We ought to let them rest in the patience of Christ.

And another thing: if my heart is resting in the love of God I am going to show that love to others. If my heart is resting in the patience of Christ (and, as we’d say in the American south ‘that takes a whole heap of patience) am I not going to be patient with others? How would Christ deal with me if He chose to treat me with the same love and patience I show to others?


I am glad He doesn’t work that way, but I am also challenged to follow His pattern with me as I deal with others. May I simply be a channel of His love and patience. 

No comments: