Tuesday 26 August 2014

Chiefest of sinners

This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life. - 1 Timothy 1.15-16


It’s hard to know where to start here. It is kind of like the whole gospel and the impact the gospel should have is all wrapped up in two little verses. It always helps me to break things down into a list of thoughts and then try to tie them together.

This is important
Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners
I am the worst of sinners
God showed me mercy for a reason
God used me to show the long-suffering of Christ with sinners
My life should be a pattern for others who are going to be saved

I think the thing that really sticks out to me (this time around) is the idea that Jesus Christ is long-suffering in dealing with man. Paul was a horrible persecutor of the church. Please don't misunderstand me, but when he says that he was the 'chiefest of sinners' we had a pretty good reason to say. It was just the kind of person that Jesus could use to prove His long-suffering nature. Paul hated the church. He hated the believers. He saw Christ as a false messiah and His servants as heretics. He was on a mission to wipe out these 'heretics.' 

And yet Christ came to die for Him - the most unlikely person of his day to be saved.

Paul prayed that it would be a pattern for all who would believe. What that tells me is that there is no one too bad to be saved. When we think of the ‘chiefest sinners’ of our day we need to remember Paul. Instead of showing hatred and contempt and saying ugly things and calling them names maybe we ought to see them as potential Pauls. Maybe instead of putting mean sayings on Facebook we ought to begin to pray for these people who threaten the rest of the world. Maybe we ought to pray for the leaders of ISIS and Boko Haram.


Who knows where a man like Paul might be today? 

No comments: