Saturday 9 August 2014

He will do it

Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it. – 1 Thessalonians 5.23-24

A lot of folks talk about salvation. If they are theologians they discuss soteriology (the doctrine of salvation). The church has been talking about this for almost 2000 years. One of the major topics is whether or not salvation can or cannot be lost once a person is saved. I am sure there are merits to the other argument, but this is one area where I am pretty dead-set on my point of view as the Biblical one. I just can't see, no matter how hard I look, how a person can lose their salvation.

There are a lot of reasons I feel that way. I don't know how eternal life can be temporary. I can't see how if we could do nothing to get saved we can do anything to keep it. I don't know how Jesus could say 'no one can pluck you out of my Father's hand' if we could take ourselves out of His hand.

There are a lot of places we could look, but this is one of those verses that nails it.

May the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely
May every part of you be preserved blameless till we see Christ again

And then:

He who calls you is faithful, and He will do it.

The one who called us to salvation is faithful. He will sanctify us completely. He will present our who body and soul and spirit blameless. He is faithful. He will do it.


He will. Not me. 

No comments: