Thursday 24 March 2011

Ways and paths

Show me Your ways, O LORD; Teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, For You are the God of my salvation; On You I wait all the day. - Psalm 25v4-5

I often come to times in my life when I need direction. It just doesn't seem like I can find the right road. Sometimes it seems like the road comes to a dead end and other times there seems to be an infinite number of paths to take. I find myself saying something like, 'Okay, what am I supposed to do next?'

The psalmist had the only right answer for times like that. It comes from a yielding to the Holy Spirit's direction. 'Show me your ways. Teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth. Teach me.'

Rather than getting frustrated or discouraged or discontent at times like this we have a prefect opportunity to let God teach us something. There are always lessons there if we are willing to look for them and accept them.

When the road ahead is not clear, or seems muddled or confusing it is the perfect time to look to the Lord for direction and instruction.

The tough part is at the end of verse five – 'On you I wait all the day long.'

It is tough to wait on direction. That waiting is often part of the teaching. But in the end it is better to wait on Hid direction than to rush off on our own path.

No comments: