Wednesday 23 March 2011

Only Jesus

Who may ascend into the hill of the LORD? Or who may stand in His holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, Who has not lifted up his soul to an idol, Nor sworn deceitfully. - Psalm 24v3-4

Psalm 24 is an interesting Psalm in which I only recently, I think, gained the proper perspective on it. I thought for a long time that it was a description of a man who had been made right through salvation, and I guess that is not a bad application.

However, I think this is really a rhetorical question. The answer to the questions is actually that no person alive qualifies to 'ascend to the hill of the Lord.' No one can stand in God's holy place because no one has 'clean hands and a pure heart.'

The only One who qualifies is Jesus Christ. He is the one who provides our access. He is the captain of our salvation who led the way that everyone must follow. Only because of Jesus as our great High Priest can we confidently enter God's throne room.

Only Jesus can approach that holy hill. Praise God that He has opened a way for me!

No comments: