Friday 25 March 2011

It is great

For Your name's sake, O LORD, Pardon my iniquity, for it is great. - Psalm 25v11

We live in society which has seemingly adopted the philosophy of 'I'm OK, you're OK.' That phrase was popularised in a book by Thomas Harris titled that published back in 1969. (Has it really been that long?)

The basic idea of the book was that we are indeed OK. If we got together we could realise that we are all OK and would realise that if got together and just talked it out.

What has really endured though is the philosophy expressed in the title. We definitely live in an 'I'm OK, you're OK' culture. It is always somebody else's fault. Even Christians have a 'reason' for their sin. 'Somebody did or said this or that. That is why I did what I did.'

The psalmist didn't try that cop-out. He simply went to the Lord. 'Pardon my iniquity Lord, for it is great.' Notice he said the pardon 'my' iniquity. He was willing to take the full weight in his shoulders. He knew that it was his sin was great and that no one else could take the blame.

'For your sake,' the psalmist writes, 'forgive my iniquities...' He knew that his great sin was not only against himself or his neighbour, but against God. His sin brought a reproach on God's name.

May each of us have the same awareness of our sin. Apart for the grace of God and mercy displayed on the cross I really am not OK, and neither are you.'

No comments: