Saturday 24 July 2010

Prove yourself a man

I go the way of all the earth; be strong, therefore, and prove yourself a man. - 1 Kings 2:2

David’s time had come. He had reigned forty years with their attendant highs and lows, successes and failures, good times and bad, and their victories and defeats.

Now it was all done. Solomon, born after perhaps his greatest failure, would be the next king. What could David, as both father and king, pass on to his son?

When I think of what I would do I picture myself at the computer trying to type up a list of all the things I would want to pass on. I fancy myself quite good at giving advice and suggestions. I am often tempted to try and micromanage these situation. I fear that my list would be quite long.

David did mention a couple of special situations that Solomon needed to deal with, but that list is quite short.

The crux of his advice is wrapped up in just a few words. ‘I go the way of all the earth; be strong, therefore, and prove yourself a man. And keep the charge of the LORD your God: to walk in His ways, to keep His statutes, His commandments, His judgments, and His testimonies, as it is written in the Law of Moses, that you may prosper in all that you do and wherever you turn.'

Be strong. Be a man. Follow the commands of the Lord.

Pretty simple, isn’t it? I like the connection between strength, proving yourself a man, and obeying God’s word. We tend to think that a ‘real man’ shows his strength by being totally self- sufficient and independent. A ‘real man’ can handle it, right?

Apparently not. A real man finds his real strength in obeying God.

David’s advice to his son and heir to the kingdom may seem pretty simple, but it is great advice for us today.

Be strong. Prove yourself a man (or woman, of course).Obey God.

No comments: