Monday 12 July 2010

O let him take it all

Then Mephibosheth said to the king, "Rather, let him take it all, inasmuch as my lord the king has come back in peace to his own house." – 2 Samuel 19v30

I have really been interested in Mephibosheth this time through the Bible. When David visited Mephibosheth he asked David why he had lost his land. David admitted that he had been deceived by Ziba and suggested that they split the property.

I love the way the ESV renders Mephibosheth’s response - "Oh, let him take it all, since my lord the king has come safely home."

Isn’t that great! Mephibosheth couldn’t care any less about all the stuff. It didn’t matter what happened to all Saul’s stuff. All that mattered was that David was safe and sound.

I don’t really have a whole lot to say about this except that I long for an attitude like Mephibosheth where that stuff doesn’t matter, but love for others does.

No comments: