Tuesday 6 July 2010

I have sinned

So David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the LORD." And Nathan said to David, "The LORD also has put away your sin; you shall not die. – 2 Samuel 12v13

What else could David say? Nathan had just laid out his sin. He had committed adultery with Uriah’s wife and murdered him. David had just judged a man for stealing a man’s sheep while he himself had just stolen a man’s wife and his life.

So David said the only thing he could, really. ‘I have sinned.’ Or was that all he could have said? David, I guess, could have made excuses. He could have acted like we do too often.

‘Hey Nathan, it wasn’t my fault! Bathsheba was bathing in her back garden. She was naked and beautiful! I am a man like any other. What do expect out of me?’

Blame shifting is sadly the norm when it comes to being confronted with sin. When we shift the blame we do no good. We really don’t get it. Until we can admit our sin we are still in our sin.

David did get it. How do we know? All it takes is a quick look at Psalm 51 which he wrote at this time.

To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David When Nathan the Prophet Went to Him, After He Had Gone in to Bathsheba. Have mercy upon me, O God, According to Your lovingkindness; According to the multitude of Your tender mercies, Blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, And cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions, And my sin is always before me. Against You, You only, have I sinned, And done this evil in Your sight— That You may be found just when You speak, And blameless when You judge.

Is that our attitude when we sin?

No comments: