Saturday 3 July 2010

I will not!

And Uriah said to David, "The ark and Israel and Judah are dwelling in tents, and my lord Joab and the servants of my lord are encamped in the open fields. Shall I then go to my house to eat and drink, and to lie with my wife? As you live, and as your soul lives, I will not do this thing." – 2 Samuel 11v11

I have just a little sidetrack here this morning. In the midst of this horrendous account of sin and its consequences we find a wonderful nugget about a man and his character.

Obviously, the wonderful example of character is not David. When Bathsheba told David that she was pregnant David had to figure something out. The story of his sin was sure to be made known because her husband, Uriah, was away.

So David hatched a plot. He ordered Uriah back home for some R&R. He told Uriah to come home and spend some time with his wife.

What man would not be thrilled at the prospect? Here was a chance to not only get away for the battle but to spend the night with his wife. Surely, this was a plan that could not fail. Everyone would think that the baby was Uriah’s.

But Uriah’s character foiled the plan. Instead of going in to his wife he spent the night on his doorstep. When David questioned him about it he said that he could not enjoy himself while his men were on the battlefield. ‘I will not do such a thing!’

David tried again. He got Uriah drunk so that he would forget about his principles. He still would not give in. Uriah had more character drunk than David did thinking clearly, at least at this time.

I admire Uriah. He was a man of principle and character. He would not violate his duty to fulfil his desires.

How that must have shamed David who had done just the opposite.

Uriah is an example to all of us when tempted to forget duty and dedication for a momentary moment of pleasure.

No comments: