Wednesday 21 July 2010

All my salvation and all my desire

And he shall be like the light of the morning when the sun rises, A morning without clouds, Like the tender grass springing out of the earth, By clear shining after rain.' "Although my house is not so with God, Yet He has made with me an everlasting covenant, Ordered in all things and secure. For this is all my salvation and all my desire; Will He not make it increase? - 2 Samuel 23v4-5

It is God that gives the increase. Some sow, some water, some reap, but it is God that accomplished anything we do. David did not know the truth in that context, but he was well familiar with the fact that we are only tools. It is God that does the work.

David realised that he was not going to build the temple. All he was going to do was to make preparations and gather the materials. That would be crushing to most of our egos, but it is the truth. All God expects us to do is our part and leave the rest up to Him.

William Carey had a change of heart toward his ministry when he realised this. He struggled for years with very little visible success. One day he wrote in his journal that all God wanted him to do was gather the materials for that ministry he would be content with that. Our task is to be faithful and glorify God. If we do that we can let the results rest with Him.

I need this reminder at time. It is God who will give the increase, not me or my frail human efforts. Lets join with David and say ‘This is all my salvation and all my desire!’

No comments: