Thursday 5 February 2009

Our sacrifice of praise

For here we have no continuing city, but we seek the one to come. Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name. – Hebrews 13v14-15

This morning was one of those mornings when I woke up in pity party pit. I won’t bore anyone with the reasons why I was there. Some may be considered somewhat serious, others were petty, and some were downright silly.

Then I open my Bible (actually read it on my phone) and am reminded that we don’t live in a ‘continuing city.’ Whenever I read this kind of thing the same old gospel song runs through my head – ‘This world is not my home…’

Once again, as I apparently need to be reminded over and over again, we seek a city to come. The way to get through this time of struggle is not to focus on what is going here and now, but to constantly offer up a ‘sacrifice of praise and give thanks to his name.’

As I sit here on a cold and snowy Irish morning I am warm and comfortable. I can pay my bills and buy food for our family. I have a good family. God has honoured me by allowing me to serve Him in another land. Our ministry has seen several people saved and Christians strengthened. We will have the chance this afternoon to share the gospel with about 25 children. My grandson, who needs surgery on his eye, will be in the hands of a qualified surgeon with the amazing technology of a laser scalpel.

I could go on and on and on, but I think we get the point. There is more to give thanks for than to complain about. There is more reason for praise than pity party pit.

Praise God for His reminder to praise. It is directed at Him, but it is good for me.

No comments: