Friday 20 February 2009

Mercy triumphs over judgement

For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment. – James 2v13

God draws a great and tremendously challenging correlation here. There will be no mercy in judgement for those who have shown no mercy. That sounds pretty tough, but Jesus taught the same thing when He said that God will not forgive those who are not willing to forgive others. 

While this is not the place to deal with the specifics there is a principle that we need to apply here. The context goes back to the rich man and the poor man discussed earlier. We have a tendency to judge based on appearance, according to our rules and depending our standards. Our judgement can triumph over our mercy in these situations. We choose to think the worst instead of thinking the best.

Then I stop to think of God’s triumphant mercy on me. I deserve only His judgement, but Jesus took that for me so that mercy triumphs over judgement when God deals with me. 

How dare I do any less when dealing with others. I am like that jerk who would not forgive the petty debt when he had been forgiven a massive debt of his own. Who am I to allow judgement to win out over mercy when I deal with others?   

If one can’t show mercy to others does he truly understand God’s mercy? Can one who has really experienced God’s mercy triumphing over judgement do any less for others? 

No comments: