Tuesday 3 February 2009

A heart established by grace

Do not be carried about with various and strange doctrines. For it is good that the heart be established by grace, not with foods which have not profited those who have been occupied with them. – Hebrews 13v9

Isn’t it amazing how God uses His word at just the right time? I have been frustrated since I received news yesterday that a church was dropping our support because we did not agree with them on a tiny issue of personal separation. There are churches that have made what are insignificant petty issues into various and strange doctrines that determine practices such as missionary support.

I respect their right as local churches to make such decisions. They, after all, are accountable to God for their decisions and stewardship.

I am grateful for the lessons God has been teaching me. There have been times in my like when I was occupied with issues such as came up yesterday. With no real Bible basis I was consumed with this or that practice that I used to determine who was spiritual or worthy of my fellowship. When Hebrews was written the issue was foods. Today we have different issues, today we have different issues but the result is the same. These kinds have no profit to those who are occupied with them.

How much better it is to be established by grace. Praise God for His marvellous grace that frees us from human regulations and requirements. It is a blessing to be established by grace and not issues like food and practices.

No comments: