Monday 9 February 2009

Ask in faith

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. – James 1v5-6

Right in the middle of teaching on dealing with trials we have this thought about asking for wisdom. The context seems to say that we may lack wisdom in dealing with trials and counting them as all joy, and that if we do we can ask God for wisdom. He will give it and He will not rebuke us for the asking.

There is a key to the asking. “Let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. Asking is faith means that faith is the basis for the asking. When I start asking I have faith that God is who He says He is and that He knows what He is doing. Instead of that our prayer in time of trials tends to be more like, “Why me?” or “What are you doing God?” When we have that kind of doubting we are tossed to and fro and never find stability.

How do we ask for wisdom in these times then? Maybe something like – ‘Lord, I don’t understand what is going on here, but I do know that you love me and that you know what is best for me and for your glory. Lord, give me the strength and wisdom that I need to serve you and glorify you through this trial.’

When we learn to do that we can learn to count our trials as ‘all joy’ instead of ‘all misery.’

No comments: