Sunday 12 October 2008

Which cause disputes

nor give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which cause disputes rather than godly edification which is in faith. - 1 Timothy 1v4

I like a good discussion. I like to bounce ideas off other people and challenge traditional thinking. I like discussions where my thoughts are challenged. If we do this right I think it can be a profitable way of forming our thoughts and ideas and a vlaid form of learning. After all, Proverbs tells how friends sharpen each other like iron sharpens iron.

However, there is another area that I have to be careful about. One of my multitude of weaknesses is that I can be what one friend calls a ‘contrarian.’ I can get to the point where I like to argue just to argue. Even if I agree I may express the other side. This is not always bad, because it can help examine more sides of what we are talking about. But, believe it or not, my heart is not always right when I do this.

Paul tells us to pay heed and attention to those areas of doctrine that are important. Those must be defended no matter what. But he also says, ‘Don’t waste your time with fables and endless genealogies that only lead to fights.’

There is a fine line between learning through discussion and fighting over wasteful fables. Yet, I think those who have matured in the faith know the difference. I need to be careful that I don’t fall into the trap of causing disputes by paying attention to the silly stuff.

No comments: