Friday 24 October 2008

A good testimony to the outside

Moreover he must have a good testimony among those who are outside, lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil. - 1 Timothy 3v7

This is an interesting passage. On one hand we read how we are not going to be accepted by the world, how they are going to reject us, and how we are not citizens of this world. We read about how we are pilgrims and wanderers and strangers in a strange land. We get the impression sometimes that we are going to be totally at odds with the world.

Then we come to a passage like this where we are told that pastors are to have a good testimony to those on the outside. Paul says that if our testimony is not right, we may fall into reproach with them, and the devil may grab us into his trap.

Reconciling these two things might seem difficult. How can we have a good testimony when we are supposed to be despised?

That’s where it gets tough. People may reject me because of my Saviour. They may reject me because of my message. They mat reject me because of my stand. But, God forbid that they ever reject me because of me. One of Satan’s traps, apparently, is for Christians, especially pastors, to have such a rotten reputation that they bring shame to the body of Christ, and bring reproach on His name just by their reputation.

We don’t have to compromise our stand for Christ to have a good testimony to the lost. They may hate every thing I stand for, and I when I cannot tolerate sin or false teaching, but I need to stand firm in such a way that I am still the best citizen in my community. They may say of me, ‘There goes one of those crazy born agains,’ but hey had better not be able to say, ‘That guy is a real jerk, if that’s what being a Christian is all about, I want no part.’

God help us from thinking that being an arrogant, pompous, holier than thou jerk is part of standing for Christ.

No comments: