Thursday 30 October 2008

Continue

Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you. - 1 Timothy 4v16

I am so glad for the constant reminders in the word of God to stay at the task. It is no accident that a recurring theme in Paul’s letters to churches and to people is to just continue on. Why? Well, I think it is obvious. At times we are all tempted to quit.

Paul’s reminders here are simply brilliant in their simplicity. Keep a grip on yourself and the doctrine you hold. Don’t let them slip. Keep at it. Stay at the stuff. Because at the end of the day your will grow in your sanctification and draw others to salvation by dong so.

When I read passages I like this I am reminded of William Carey. He is one of my true heroes (if I believed in heroes). He was pure and simply a plodder. Year after year went by and he saw ‘nothing’ happening. He had doubts and fears about his calling. He had opposition on the field and back ‘home.’ He had physical and family struggles, but he just could not bring himself to quit. He just continued on keeping his life right and staying true to the scriptures. Eventually, after many years, he was able to see the results of just staying at it.

May have a, if I may coin a neologism, carian heart of service.

1 comment:

Candi said...

Yep - this is powerful stuff AND personal stuff. For me it's easy to KNOW the truth. It's that first phrase that gets me - taking heed to myself. "The world doesn't need my tie, my hoody, my denomination, or my translation of the Bible, they just need Jesus." But if I am not taking heed to myself, they are seeing me NOT HIM.