Friday 17 October 2008

Prayers…for kings

Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. - 1 Timothy 2v1-2

Ouch, and might I say double ouch? I have always love politics and living in one country while holding citizenship in another I get a double dose! There was a change in leadership in government in Ireland this year and of course it is an election year in the US, so I get to debate two different sets of politics!

We all know what happens in political discussions. When those who love the intrigue of politics I like do debate it is not long till we find something to disagree about, and things get heated. I, for one, can find myself attacking the political systems and the parties, but I can also find myself attacking the leaders and candidates.

For clarity, let me focus on the upcoming election in the US. In January Americans will have a new president. Frankly, I am not thrilled about either choice. I think either man is going to bring more of the same old politics, but at noon on the 20th of January, either Barack Obama or John McCain will be president (barring a tragedy or scandal of some sort).

I know now that I am not going to like a lot of what they are going to do, and that is fine. I even have the right to complain about it. But as a Christian I have another responsibility. First of all, I am to offer up, ‘supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks’ for them as I should for all men. Paul speaks of kings here. When Paul wrote this, probably sometime in the early 60’s A.D. Nero was Caesar in Rome, either Felix or Festus was prefect in Judea, and Agrippa II was king of Galilee. I doubt that any of us would campaign for any of these men, and yet believers are exhorted to pray and give thanks for their kings.

I do not want to stifle debate in a free society, but I wonder what our debates would be like if we had already spent time offering up supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanks for our leaders? What if I came into a discussion about the Taoiseach, or President Bush (or Obama or McCain) after praying and giving thanks for them? Do you think my demeanour would be the same as if I was just launching an attack?

No comments: