Tuesday 28 October 2008

Reading, Exhortation, and Doctrine

Till I come give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. 1 Timothy 4v13

I like how Paul fills in the gaps. "Okay Tim, I have told you all this stuff, and I am coming, but in the meantime, keep yourself busy. Pay attention to reading, to exhortation, and to doctrine.'

I am away for home and my tools, so don't know if he is talking about exhorting yourself, or exhorting others. But either way - he tells Timothy to keep himself busy.

We all have idle times, and I think it is clear that the Bible indicates that we do need to take time to come away and rest, but for me that is not the problem. My problem is that when I have idle time I tend to idle it away.

I am challanged to day about what to do with that time. Read, exhort myself or others, and study doctrine. I don't think Paul intended these words for a young preacher first century named Timothy, but also for a middle aged twenty-first century preacher named Roger.

We don't have time to waste. When we do, we have a way to fill it.

Praise God for filling in the gaps.

1 comment:

Candi said...

Is this where Mary's famous saying "Only boring people get bored" comes from?