Wednesday 5 December 2007

While we were yet sinners

“But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us”. - Romans 5v8

The purpose of these reflections was to help me glean some “new” thoughts and insights from the word of God. I did not want to focus on the familiar portions, but every so often we come across a passage that I just can’t pass over.

Romans 5v8 is one of those passages for it is so powerful that I have to mention it. It is an amazing, astounding, almost incomprehensible truth. Jesus loved me, not as the man I am now who is endeavouring the live for him, not as the redeemed by His grace pastor, but as a wretched, vile sinner who was His enemy. His love was so deep and so wide that he loved me enough to die for me. We say that so often that sometimes we can forget the depth of it – while was still a sinner, he died for me.

How did Jesus see me while I was a lost man? He saw me as a target for His love, a love that ran so deep that it moved Him to die for me. In contrast how do I see lost men around me? For me at least far too often I do not see them as objects of Christ’s love. If I am not careful I can see them as objects of ridicule and contempt.

How did Christ see lost sinners? How do I see them? How I am challenged by that set of questions.

No comments: