Sunday 23 December 2007

All things

“And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.” - Romans 8v28

There are, believe it or not, some portions of scripture that I read and that I have a hard time believing. Romans 8v28 is one such verse. How can all things in our lives work together for good. How can car accidents, illnesses, tragic diseases, broken homes, collapsing economies, earthquakes, hurricanes, job losses, sinful choices, persecution, and such work together for good? How can I REALLY believe it when it happens to me?

There is some debate in theological circles about whether God actually orchestrates every single event for good or whether He uses events to use them for good. Either way the truth is still there. “We know that all things work together for good” , or “we know that that God works all things for good” really doesn’t make a difference. The problem is seeing and believing the truth of the statement at all.

I wish I had a better answer – for my sake as much as anyone’s, but the truth is that this is one of those things that I juts have to choose to believe. I have to exercise faith to believe that no matter what comes across my path God is going to use it for good.

What a comfort if I would ever really choose to believe it.

No comments: