Monday 24 December 2007

Conformed to His image

“For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.” - Romans 8v29

I really, really would like to have this who election/predestination/Calvinism/sovereignty v. free-will thing figures out. At one time in my life I thought I had, but the longer I go the lesser I know. It is a question that has rattled the minds of theologians for years. Churches have split and friendships been destroyed over this one issue.

I get the feeling I am not going to ever really get it. Maybe God’s word is purposefully vague here just to keep us humble. I do know one thing for sure though – those who are saved are predestined to be conformed to the image of Christ.

What a comfort this is. It is no excuse for my forays into sin, but it is comforting to know that one day I will be like Him. One day my sanctification will be complete. One day the battle with sin will be over.

In the meantime we are reminded in Ephesians that before the foundation of the world something else was ordained – that we should walk in good works to show the world that we are already His.

No comments: