Wednesday 19 December 2007

My inheritance

“The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.” - Romans 8v16-17

You often hear stories about people who have some rich relative die and leave them an amazing inheritance. The go from rags to riches overnight! It is kind of like winning the lottery!

I am patiently waiting for my share on an inheritance I am due 1/102 of the estate of a first cousin once removed (I tried to figure that out but got confused). I have been waiting for over a year now, but I have to say I am not waiting with baited breath. I have a feeling that this inheritance is not going to change my lifestyle. If it takes until after I die my children would each get 1/612 of the estate. The further we go the smaller the inheritance gets.

Paul talks about a whole different kind of inheritance. Since God is my dad I am now His heir. In fact, this inheritance is such that I am a joint heir with Christ and will one day receive the fullness of His blessing. This is an inheritance that is incorruptible and undefiled. It is not going to fade away the longer it goes and it is already reserved hin heaven for me.

How do I go from a lost sinner at enmity with God to a joint heir with Jesus? I certainly can’t figure it all out, but I do know that it is purely and simply by His matchless grace.

1 comment:

Candi said...

When you finally get your 1/102, you, Mary, and I will celebrate with a cuppa! Till then, I guess we'll just have to wait (and have a cuppa):>)