Friday 7 December 2007

No longer slaves of sin

“knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin” - Romans 6v6

Why is it that Christians make excuse for their sin? “I just can’t get the victory over this or that sin.” “Well, this in my besetting sin that is just part of my life.” There always seem to be a reason why we sin.

I wish I had an answer that would make us all feel better. Something like, “Well, we need to understand that we still live in the flesh and the flesh is strong. We are all going to battle sin. We just have to bear up with it the best we can and try to live for the Lord.”

The problem is that it is not biblical. Our old man was crucified with Christ. It was done away with and it lost its power. Therefore we are no longer slaves to it; sin has no power over us.

If sin has no power over us and we are no slaves to it, why do we continue to sin? Why will we continue to sin?

The answer is simple, if uncomfortable – because we want to. When I sin it is not because I am a slave but a volunteer. “Who is going to sin?” “Ooh, ooh, I will I will!!!”

Sound harsh? Well, if I am no longer sin’s slave and I still sin, what other answer is there?

1 comment:

Candi said...

I raise my hand and jump up and down as I scream, "Ooh, ooh, I will!" This verse nails the truth to my heart - my tongue speaks because I want it to. My heart is hard because I do not trust God to work all things for my good. My time is wasted because I want to waste it. My friend is dying without hope because I don't want to take time to tell her about God's love. Mea culpa!