Saturday 15 December 2007

No condemnation

“There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.” - Romans 8v1

“No condemnation now I dread; Jesus, and all in Him, is mine. Alive in Him, my living Head, and clothed in righteousness divine. Bold I approach th’eternal throne,
and claim the crown, through Christ my own.”

So wrote Charles Wesley in his wonderful hymn "And Can it Be?" in Psalms and Hymns in 1738. I think Charles captures something of what Paul wrote in his own Spirit inspired words. After all the frustration of dealing with the flesh in chapter seven he acknowledged that Christ will deliver him from the body of death and therefore there is no condemnation awaiting those who are in Christ Jesus.

There is no excuse for our sin, there is no making light of it. We should never placate ourselves by saying it is no big deal, but one thing is sure and as certain as it can be – there is no condemnation awaiting me because Jesus, and all that He is – is mine! I am alive in Him, He is my living Head, and I am clothed in His righteousness! Therefore, when the end of my time on earth is done I can approach His eternal throne with total confidence and claim my crown through the power of Christ!

When we battle sin and the daily struggles of life may we take confidence in the amazing word – “no condemnation!”

No comments: