Wednesday 7 August 2019

Seeing that we have this ministry

Therefore, since we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we do not lose heart. – 2 Corinthians 4.1

This is one of those passages of scripture forever inscribed on my heart. There are specific verses that God had used at specific times and in specific siutations where the Holy Spirit spoke them clearly and directly to my heart.

This is one of those verses that will forever stick in my mind. Several years ago I was out walking the dog while I was praying/complaining to God about some frustrations with our ministry here. More than once, I will have to admit, I have been tempted to just quit. All I could see that morning were my failures and weaknesses and such. So I was telling God about it.

Suddenly, as clearly as if He was walking by side the Holy Spirit used this passage to speak to my heart.

“Roger, I have given you a ministry. I have given you the mercy you need. You have a mission – don’t give up.’

I realised, not as a permanent change sadly, that I am where God has put meet. I remember the thought (from God perhaps) that I needed to love and focus on the people God has given to me to minister to instead of focusing on what I don’t have.

Jesus did not lose heart through His arrest and trial. He did not quit on the way to the cross. He loved me enough to finish His work.

How then can I lose heart when things don’t go the way I want? I have a work to do. God pours out his mercy on me fresh every day. How can I quit?

No comments: