Thursday 1 August 2019

Our sufficiency

And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:   Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God; - 2 Corinthians 3:4-5

In 1906 Charles Jones wrote a simple little hymn that is one of my favourites. It has a simple refrain which is a reminder of a great spiritual truth. Christ is our sufficiency. Christ is all I need. Here is a part of that hymn:

Jesus Christ is made to me,
All I need, all I need,
He alone is all my plea,
He is all I need.

Wisdom righteousness and pow’r,
Holiness forevermore,
My redemption full and sure,
He is all I need.
What though, does this actually mean. It sounds great, but is Jesus really all we need?

Obviously, in a physical sense there is more we need. We need food and drink and shelter and raiment. We need others in our lives.

What Paul is talking about here is what we need to carry us through all of the realities of life today no matter what the circumstances.

How do we get through this life? We depend on the sufficiency of Christ, on His strenght and His power and His direction. When it comes to our view of eternity Christ really is all we need to get through these present struggles.

No comments: