Thursday 15 August 2019

Eternal

Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal. – 2 Corinthians 4.16-18

The last part of this verse is something that I think about all the time. It tells us to not look at the things we can see, but to look at the things we cannot see.

That’s one of those strange parts of serving Christ. Look at what you can’t see sounds like an impossibility doesn’t it. How can I look at what I can’t see?

The truth is that as Christians we live in two worlds. We live in this world, the problem with that is that this world is so stinking visible. We can’t avoid it. It is there right in front of our eyes from the time we get up in the morning to the time we go to bed at night. It demands our attention literally all the time.

We also live in the invisible kingdom of God. We can’t see it with natural eyes. We have to look to it. We have to focus on it. We have to choose to set our affection on it. We have to choose to look to Jesus, the Author and the Finisher of our faith.

The difference between the two is vital for us to grasp. One, the visible world, it temporary and fleeting. The other, the invisible, is eternal. At the best I can only hope for another 25-30 years on this earth. That ought to make me more aware than ever of the invisible world. I ought to be treasuring it more. The world, and everything in it, is passing away. My investment now needs to be on the eternal. Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Sure, I still need to live in today. I have to feed and clothe and house myself, but my focus must be on the ever approaching eternity down the road.

Where is my focus today?

No comments: