Friday 23 August 2019

Christ became sin for us

For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. – 2 Corinthians 5.21

Christ became sin for us. He knew no sin. Because He became sin for us all His righteousness is given to us.

I can hardly even grasp the reality of that great truth of that statement. Jesus, God in flesh, the righteous, holy, perfect, sinless Son of God literally became sin in my place. All the pain, all the penalty, all the shame of my sin was taken on by Jesus on the cross. All of my transgressions were nailed to the cross in my Saviour.

The modern hymn ‘The Power of the Cross’ I think captures notion:

Oh to see the pain written on your face.
Bearing the awesome weight of sin.
Every bitter thought every evil did.
Crowning your blood stain brow.

This the power of the cross,
Christ became sin for us, took the blame bore the wrath
we stand forgiven at the cross.

This is a deep theogolical truth that changes everything. In sin we were without hope, but because we He became sin we have hope and assurance.  My sin, oh the bliss, of this glorious thought, my sin, not in part but the whole, is nailed to the cross and I bear it no more.

No comments: