Sunday 18 August 2019

Compelling love

For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again. – 2 Corinthians 5.14-15

Why do we do what we do? Why do we serve? Why do we strive to obey God’s word? Why do we want to love God and love others? Why do we follow Christ and tell others about Him? What motivates us?

There is only one motivation that will keep us going no matter what.

There are all kinds of things that motivate people. Riches, popularity, and fame and fortune are big motivators. Having the most stuff can be a motivator. Pride moves us. Peer pressure pressures us. Sometimes we can be motivated by good things like humanitarianism and the desire to be a nice guy can motivate.

All of these can be powerful forces.

But when it comes to living for Christ and serving Him we need only look back to His love to find our compelling force. Christ loved me when I was still in my sin. His love sent Him to the cross. We can only love Him because He first loved us.

When we look at a pattern for love it can’t be the love of anyone else. We can see examples and learn how to love through other’s love, but the test of our love is do we love like Jesus loves? How does His love change us?

Day by day by day as I encounter this world my motivation to keep on should be Jesus’ love for me. It ought ot change our I see the trials and testings. It ought to change how I see others and respond to them. It ought to change how I see the affairs of this world.

Does the love of Christ truly compel me?

No comments: